Sunday, September 30, 2012

Artwork


One thing I have always admired about certain albums is the artwork and presentation of a vinyl record. Having an eye-catching concept is a quick way to draw attention to your album. Through the years I have come to admire many, and I would like to sure some examples.


The album is Mahogany Rush's 1975 album "Strange Universe".  Artwork was created by Ivan Schwartz. The artist captured the title of the album really well this piece.  My father actually gave me this album, and I had never heard the band before, but the artwork is what drew me in on this one. It did not disappoint.

This is the 1972 Jefferson Airplane album "Bark". The album came wrapped in a brown grocery bag.  as you can see it did have their JA logo on the front, and at the top of the album it says Jefferson Airplane/Bark. It is a very clever idea.

Here is a closer look at what the inside of the fold looks when you unfold the paper bag:



This is Santana "Abraxas".  This is one of my favorite albums.  The artwork was created by Mati Klawein. I had this album for about three years before I realized what was on the front of it. It is a provocative album if you can make out what is on the cover.

These are just a few examples of clever adverstisement and presentation. Please share your own favorites.



No comments:

Post a Comment